So, you’ve chosen to move and hire a moving company. We always want to believe that businesses have the best interest of their customers at heart, but unfortunately that is not always the case. In this article we will discuss how to avoid moving scams.
Tips for a hassle free move
- Get a visual, free, no-obligation estimate – In-person is best, but virtual options are a good alternate
- If a company insists that a phone or email estimate is good enough, be wary. No two moves are the same.
- An agent may be able to give you a ballpark range, but they cannot accurately assess your move needs without seeing your home
- Reputable companies will give you an estimate in writing – if they don’t, this is a red flag
- Get multiple estimates from several moving companies
- Beware deposits!
- In the moving industry, it is not custom for a company to request or require a deposit before a move begins or to hold your move date
- Payment is usually made upon delivery before the truck is offloaded
- Do your research
- Verify companies on google maps and make sure they have an actual space
- Some less than reputable companies merely rent trucks to move you and don’t have office and/or storage.
- If there are no markings or just a small decal on the truck, this could mean they’re a company who changes their identity often
- Remember, if it seems too good to be true, it usually is.
- Moving services can seem expensive but the cost you’re paying includes both tangible and intangible benefits.
- If an estimate seems much lower-priced than 3 others (or 1 is much higher), this can be a red flag
- If you’re moving cross-country and a company guarantees that it will be delivered on a certain day and not within a delivery spread (even if you pay for exclusive use of a truck, which is rare).
Let us help you move and avoid scams!
We hope this information helps you. If you’re in South Florida, A1A Atlantic Moving and Storage has been in business for over 40 years and has been an agent for Mayflower Transit since we opened our doors in 1982. You can request a quote on our website at: https://a1aatlantic.com/request-a-quote/